Yoga is good for you on many different levels, not only to improve your physical body, but also to find balance in yourself, peace in your mind, and to find wellbeing on a spiritual level.
Different yoga poses can enable different forms of healing and mindfulness, and they each have specific uses.
One of the things that yoga can do for you, helps you align your chakras, opening them up to activate different parts of your body, mind, and soul, in order to find a center of positive energy and overall well being.
But what are the different chakra yoga poses? How do you do them? And what are the benefits? We can answer all these questions, as we will explain exactly what chakras are, and what yoga poses to use to align each one of them.
Let’s get started!
What Are Chakras?
First of all, it might be helpful to clear up what chakras are.
They are essentially focal points in your body that are used in practices of meditation, and they come from the Hindu tradition. In some practices, there are five main chakras, while in others there are up to seven.
Each chakra represents a level of consciousness, activating different parts of your mind, body, and soul. They allow energy to flow through your nervous system and aura, and when balanced, they lead to wellbeing and healing.
Chakras can be activated and aligned through the use of yoga poses, crystals and gemstones, meditation, spirituality and mindfulness, and other practices.
Yoga Poses To Align Different Chakras:
Here are some yoga poses that can be helpful in aligning and activating different chakras of your body:
Root Chakra – The Mountain Pose
The Root Chakra can be found at the base of the spine, and it is in charge of channeling energy from the earth, in order to help us feel grounded, connected, and safe.
When this chakra is unbalanced, you can also feel unbalanced in your physical body, feeling mentally or emotionally lost, as well as vulnerable and exposed.
When it is properly aligned, however, you will feel confident, with a strong sense of belonging and safety within your place in the world.
The Mountain pose is great for aligning the Root Chakra, and it invites energy from the earth to flow back into your body.
Here is how to do it:
- Stand up straight, with your feet slightly apart
- Press the feet into the floor or mat
- Relax your shoulders, activate your core and stretch your head upward
- Lift your hands and have your palms meet, right in front of your center
- Breathe deeply, with your eyes closed, and try to feel your body stretching, from the top of your head to your feet on the mat
- Think about the connection between earth and sky, and how you can transmit the energy between them
- It can help to visualize the Root Chakra has a bright red light on the end of your tailbone
Heart Chakra – The Low Lunge Pose
The Heart Chakra, located at the center of your chest, is what opens up your soul to the love around you, from others, and within yourself.
It is the gateway to personal connection, and love as a whole, and can help develop your spirituality to a deeper level.
When unbalanced, you will feel distant from others and from yourself, unable to process emotions or feelings. When aligned, you will be full of love and will have a full understanding of your emotions.
The low lunge pose is ideal for properly aligning and activating your Heart Chakra.
Here is how to do it:
- Start in a downward-facing dog position
- Bring your right foot forward, between your hands, and lower the left knee to the mat
- Make sure to keep the hips squared to the front of the mat!
- Shift your weight forward and allow your hips to fully stretch
- Lift your right hand up to the sky, and bring the left hand down to your left leg. This will stretch the front part of your body, opening up the heart chakra
- Inhale and exhale slowly, stretching your chest. It can help to visualize your heart chakra as a green light full of love
- Repeat the process on the opposite side
Throat Chakra – The Easy Pose, With Chanting
The Throat Chakra, located on your throat, is the one in charge of communication, and the way you express yourself. It also controls truth, creativity, and confidence.
When unbalanced, you can have trouble expressing yourself or can feel lost and untethered, unsure of who you are. It can also cause throat problems in a physical way.
When aligned properly, however, you will find your true voice and will be able to fully express yourself in confidence.
Chanting is one of the best ways to open and activate the throat chakra, and you can do so with the Easy yoga pose.
Here is how to do it:
- Sit on your mat, in the Easy pose, with your hands in Gyan Mudra, resting on your knees. (This is sometimes referred to as the meditation stance)
- Inhale, straightening your spine and lifting your chest
- Exhale, relaxing your shoulders
- Tuck your chin to your chest, to stimulate the throat, and begin chanting
- It can help to visualize your throat chakra as a blue light that brings forth the truth
- It can also help to have a specific chant or mantra, something that is meaningful to you
Third Eye Chakra – The Dolphin Pose
The Third Eye Chakra, located in your brow, is often referred to as the all-seeing eye, and it is in charge of your higher self, your guidance, and your intuition.
When unbalanced, you can feel confused, unable to see situations clearly and feel trapped in problems, with no way out. It can also cause headaches, migraines, and dizziness.
When your third eye chakra is aligned, you will see things clearly and will be able to find paths to move forward with your life, towards a higher purpose.
The Dolphin pose is especially good at activating this chakra, because it can increase the circulation to your face and brain, stimulating the chakra directly.
Here is how to do it:
- Start in the downward-facing dog position. Then, lower your forearms to the mat, stacking your shoulders above the elbows
- Move your palms so that they touch, with the thumbs pointing up and the pinkie fingers pressed to the mat
- Shift your body forward, so that your chin is above your thumbs, and then shift back, into the Dolphin pose
- Continue shifting back and forth. It helps to visualize the third eye chakra as energy that connects your third eye to your thumbs
- Continue to do this for about 5 to 10 repetitions, slowly. Stop if you feel over-stimulated in any way
There are many more yoga poses that can activate other chakras or these same chakras but in different ways (to find poses that will balance your 7 chakras, read here). You can look for more information online, or talk to a yoga instructor versed in chakra alignment.
Just remember to perform each pose slowly, and to repeat every so often to keep your chakras activated and well-balanced, for a better overall wellbeing!
- Ultimate Guide to Yoga Strap Stretching: 12 Poses for Flexibility - September 15, 2023
- Phalakasana or Kumbhakasana – Plank Pose - September 13, 2023
- All About Iyengar Poses: Beginner to Advanced Guide - September 11, 2023