Are you ready to take your hip flexibility to the next level? We’ve got you covered with our ultimate guide to 30 stretches for flexible hips for those new to yoga!
The 30 Best Stretches For Hip Flexibility
- Easy Pose: Sit cross-legged on the floor with a straight back and relax your arms on your knees.
- Seated Forward Fold: Sit with your legs extended in front of you, fold forward, and reach your toes.
- Butterfly Pose: Sit with the soles of your feet touching and gently press the knees to the floor.
- Bound Angle Pose: Sit with the soles of your feet together and bring your heels towards your pelvis.
- Cow Face Pose: Cross one leg over the other and bring your feet towards your hips.
- Child’s Pose: Start on your hands and knees and sit back on your heels while reaching your arms forward.
- Pigeon Pose: Begin in a high plank position, bring one knee towards the opposite wrist, and extend the other leg back. Lower down to your elbows for a deeper stretch.
- Crescent Lunge: From a high lunge, lift your arms overhead and sink your hips down towards the floor.
- Low Lunge: From a high lunge, lower your back knee to the ground and press your hips forward.
- Wide-Legged Forward Fold: Keep your feet open wider than hip-width apart, fold forward, and reach for the ground.
- Garland Pose: Squat down with your feet close together and press your elbows against the inside of your knees.
- Happy Baby Pose: Lie on your back and grab the outsides of your feet, pulling your knees towards your armpits.
- Half Lotus Pose: Sit with one leg crossed in front of you and bring the other foot towards your hip crease.
- Full Lotus Pose: Cross both legs in front of you and bring your feet towards your opposite hip creases.
- Fire Log Pose: Sit with one leg stacked on top of the other and fold forward.
- King Pigeon Pose: From downward-facing dog, bring one knee towards your opposite wrist and extend the other leg back. Reach back with your hand and grab your back foot for a deeper stretch.
- Compass Pose: From standing, bring one leg behind you and reach for your foot with the opposite hand while extending the other arm up.
- Standing Forward Bend: Place your feet hip-width apart, fold forward, and reach for the ground.
- Lizard Pose: From a high lunge, bring your hands inside your front foot and lower your back knee to the ground. Sink your hips down for a deeper stretch.
- Frog Pose: Start on your hands and knees and widen your knees as much as comfortable. Slowly lower your hips towards the ground.
- Reclined Bound Angle Pose: Lie on your back bringing your soles together. Then release all tension from your knees and let them drop to the ground for a gentle hip opener.
- Reverse Pigeon Pose: Stay on your back and cross one ankle over the opposite knee. Reach through and grab the back of your thigh to gently pull your legs towards your chest.
- Runner’s Lunge: From a low lunge, bring your hands to the inside of your front foot and straighten your back leg. Sink your hips down for a deeper stretch.
- Fire Log Pose: Sit on the ground with both legs extended in front of you. Cross one leg over the other with the ankle resting on the opposite knee. Gently fold forward for a deep hip stretch.
- Cow Face Pose with Eagle Arms: Cross one arm over the other in front of your chest, and then cross one leg over the other in a seated position.
- Side Lying Clam: Lie on your side and bend your knees and feet together. Keeping your feet together, open your top knee towards the ceiling.
- Half Moon Pose: From standing, bring one hand to the ground and extend the opposite leg and arm up towards the ceiling.
- Triangle Pose: From standing, take a wide stance and reach one hand towards the ground while the other extends towards the ceiling.
- Side Lunge: Take a wide stance and shift your weight towards one side, bending that knee and straightening the other leg. Reach your hands towards the ground or overhead for a deeper stretch.
- Pyramid Pose: From a low lunge, straighten your front leg and fold forward over your extended leg. Reach your hands towards the ground or place them on a block for a deep hamstring and hip stretch.
Partner Hip Stretches
To finish our list the fun way, we have added 6 bonus partner hip stretches for you to effectively deepen your stretches while building trust and connection with your partner:
- Seated Forward Fold: Sit facing your partner with your legs extended and fold forward, while your partner sits behind you and gently presses your back toward the floor.
- Seated Butterfly Pose: Sit facing your partner with the soles of your feet touching, while your partner gently pushes your knees towards the ground.
- Double Pigeon Pose: Sit facing your partner with both legs crossed in front of you and place the top foot on your partner’s opposite knee. Lean forward for a deeper stretch.
- Partner Low Lunge: Face your partner and place your hands on each other’s shoulders. Take a lunge position and press your hips forward.
- Partner Boat Pose: Sit facing your partner with your knees bent and your feet touching. Hold hands and lift your feet off the ground for a core and hip stretch.
- Partner Twist: Sit back-to-back with your partner with your legs crossed. Twist towards each other and use your partner’s back to deepen the stretch.
The Bottom Line
We hope this guide to 30 stretches for flexible hips helps you on your yoga journey. Incorporate these stretches into your routine to increase mobility, prevent injury, and feel more comfortable in your body. Just remember to always listen to your body and practice with mindfulness. Happy stretching!
- Ultimate Guide to Yoga Strap Stretching: 12 Poses for Flexibility - September 15, 2023
- Phalakasana or Kumbhakasana – Plank Pose - September 13, 2023
- All About Iyengar Poses: Beginner to Advanced Guide - September 11, 2023