What Is The 80/20 Rule In Yoga?

In recent years, yoga has become increasingly popular. While it has been around for many years, yoga has definitely had a new surge in popularity in the years following the Covid-19 pandemic.

What is the 80/20 Rule in Yoga?

As more and more people have turned to yoga, an increasing number of people have started to follow the 80/20 rule. But what exactly is it?

Well, if you are a novice when it comes to yoga, likely, you won’t have heard of the 80/20 rule. The 80/20 rule is essentially just a rule that was created to help people strive for balance.

When you have goals, no matter whether they be career goals, fitness goals, or big life goals, it is very easy to put 100% into reaching that goal. But as you do this, you may feel yourself burning out. That is where the 80/20 rule can come in handy. 

In this guide, we’re focusing on how the 80/20 rule can be applied to yoga. However, it is important to know that this rule can be applied to lots of different areas of life. So, if you want to find out more about what the 80/20 rule means in yoga, keep on reading!

What Is The 80/20 Rule?

First things first, let’s take a look at exactly what the 80/20 rule is. As we have said, the 80/20 rule is a rule that a lot of people live their life by.

This rule highlights how life is about balance and encourages people to reach their goals by dedicating 80% of their time towards their goals, while also having a balance with the remaining 20% of their time. 

When you have goals, it is really simple to focus on that goal entirely. But if that goal is a big goal that will take a considerable amount of time and effort to reach, putting 100% into it isn’t ideal. Throwing 100% into a goal that will take years to reach can quickly lead to burn out which ultimately is counterproductive. 

Following the 80/20 rule ensures that you are putting a large amount of effort into your goals, while also giving you time for other things in life.

This balance, and time to dedicate to other avenues, will help prevent burn-out and allow you to hit your goals without falling out of love with them. It is a brilliant rule to live your life by and can be applied to lots of different avenues. 

How Does The 80/20 Rule Affect Yoga?

Now that we have taken a good look at exactly what the 80/20 rule is, let’s take a look at how this can be applied to yoga. 

Yoga can be totally life-changing, especially when you are new to this form of exercise. Yoga is so much more than just a form of exercise, it is a method for getting in touch with your emotions, for learning more about your inner self, and for connecting with the world in a spiritual manner.

It can be addictive, and it is very easy to find yourself spending large amounts of time practicing yoga. But the 80/20 rule could change that. 

Using the 80/20 rule in yoga allows you to hit your yoga goals without burning out. This method allows you to improve your technique and reap all the different benefits of practicing yoga without over-stretching yourself both literally and figuratively. 

Essentially, in yoga, the 80/20 rule dictates that you should spend 80% of the time that you dedicate towards your yoga goals actually practicing yoga. The remaining 20% should be dedicated toward the spiritual side of yoga, focusing on sound baths, and other spiritual things, as well as giving yourself time to rest.

What is the 80/20 Rule in Yoga?

Yoga can really stretch your body, so as well as using sound baths, you should also take long baths and naps. Rest is an important part of reaching any yoga goals that you set for yourself, so ensure that you are giving yourself time to rest and recuperate on your journey toward your goals. Doing this is the only way to ensure that you do not burn out. 

Can You Use The 80/20 Rule In Other Areas Of Your Life?

As well as using the 80/20 rule for your yoga goals, you can use this rule in lots of other areas of your life. The 80/20 rule is an excellent rule to implement across your entire life, and it can really help you to change the way that you live. 

Everybody has goals in life. They may be career goals, fitness goals, family goals, or simply personal growth goals. No matter your goals, implementing the 80/20 rule will ensure that you do not burn out in your quest to reach the goals that you have set for yourself.

Implementing the 80/20 rule allows you to hit your goals in a timely fashion without punishing yourself in the process. 

Despite what a lot of people say, you do not need to dedicate 100% of yourself to your goals in order to achieve them. Fully dedicating yourself to just one goal is totally unnatural and it can have a really negative impact on your mental and physical health.

So use the 80/20 rule to hit your goals, no matter what they are, while also taking care of yourself throughout the process. 

Summary

In short, the 80/20 rule is a rule that many people use within their life. The idea of this rule is to create balance in your life when you are working towards goals and ensure that you aren’t overworking yourself. With yoga, this rule is designed to ensure that you aren’t working too hard on your yoga and that there is balance in your life. 

A lot of people are mistaken in believing that you have to put 100% effort into any activity that you do if you want to be perfect. But putting 100% into just one activity will not lead to perfection, it will lead to burnout.

This is not only true for yoga but for everything in your life. In this guide, we have focused on how to use the 80/20 rule to benefit your yoga practice and skills. 

Thanks for reading! 

Frequently Asked Questions

Is The 80/20 Rule Effective?

Yes, the 80/20 rule is absolutely effective. The 80/20 rule is used by lots of different people in lots of different areas of their life simply because it really does make a difference when it comes to lifestyle.

This rule can change the way that you look at life and achieve goals, and for many people, it makes achieving your goals a little more realistic. That is why this is such an effective rule to use in life. 

Does The 80/20 Rule Work In Yoga?

Yes, the 80/20 rule definitely does work in yoga. This rule allows you to improve your technique and take steps toward hitting your yoga goals. That is why you should definitely use the 80/20 rule when practicing yoga.

Laura Simmons
Latest posts by Laura Simmons (see all)